In the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) section you will find a summary of the most important, as well as additional information about our study programs, including our admission requirements, the university placement and allocation guidelines.

M.A. Programs

Can I also apply by mail?

We recommend using our online application form. An application by mail is also possible and is to be addressed to the Student Advisory Office at the Berlin, Cologne or Frankfurt Campus.

Can I hand in my CV/resume and other documents later?

Please submit your documents digitally before the interview. The following documents must be submitted on paper by no later than the day of your interview:

letter of motivation, certified copy of your bachelor’s degree certificate, transcript of records, diploma supplement (if available), certified copy of your university entrance certificate, signed CV, two recent passport photographs

Meeting all the entry requirements for your chosen course is a condition for a place at our university.

Can I apply if I have not received my bachelor’s degree certificate yet?

Yes, you can apply with your latest transcript of records as a certified copy. The complete bachelor’s degree certificate has to be submitted by the end of the first semester of your master studies. Otherwise, your admission to the master studies will be terminated. 

Will my foreign bachelor’s degree certificate be recognized?

Undergraduate degree certificates obtained outside Germany must be certified by a notary, an embassy or a consulate. Additionally, our University Application Service for International Students “uni-assist” has to assess if your bachelor’s degree is equivalent to that of a German bachelor’s degree. For further information, please go to www.uni-assist.de.

Documents that are not in German or English have to be submitted as a certified copy translated by a sworn, legally-certified translator. Addresses for translators can be found at: http://www.justiz-dolmetscher.de

What is the deadline for applications?

There are no set application deadlines at Media University. Usually, you can apply until the start of the semester. However, as places in the master programs are limited, we recommend you to apply earlier – at least three months in advance. If the program is full, we will put you on a waiting list.

How long does it take to receive the results of the assessment test?

Usually, you will receive your results within ten days.

Is there a numerus clausus (minimum grade point average)?

No, there is not. We do not require a minimum grade point average, but have an internal assessment test specific designed for our degree programs.

What happens in the assessment interview?

The Head of the Degree Program you applied for, or a colleague from the Student Advisory, will conduct a personal interview with you to find out about your motivation and suitability.

Which documents do I need to forward to uni-assist and how long does this process take?

Please hand in to uni-assist the following documents as a certified copy:

university entrance certificate (A-levels), final certificate of your undergraduate degree program (Bachelor etc.), translation of both documents (if they are not in English or German), transcript of records of your undergraduate degree, credit points and description of modules (German or English)

The processing of your documents will take 4-6 weeks upon receipt of completedocuments required.

Will the uni-assist fees be reimbursed?

Your initial fees for your application to Media University will be reimbursed to you (maximum amount: 75 Euro) provided you accept and return the study contract and after the cancelation period has expired.

Are all Media University degree programs accredited?

Yes, all master degree programs at Media University are officially accredited by FIBAA. FIBAA is a European, internationally orientated agency, for quality management in the areas of academia. Therefore, all Media University degrees are recognized internationally.

Furthermore, all master degree programs at Media University are state-approved by the Berlin Senate Administration.

What is the minimum level of German or English I need in order to participate in a master degree taught in German or English at Media University?

M.A. Communication Design: Level B2 (CEFR - Common European Framework of Reference for Languages)

M.A. Convergent Journalism: Level C1 (CEFR)

M.A. Business Psychology: Level B2 (CEFR)

Are degree programs taught in German or English?

In Berlin and Frankfurt, the language of instruction for all master degree programs is English.

In Cologne, the language of instruction for all master degree programs is German.

For degree courses taught in English, the Master's thesis can be submitted in English or German. Also, written examinations can be submitted in English or German, provided that an individual arrangement has been made with the lecturer of the respective module.

How many students are there per group?

There are a maximum of 30 students per course. At present, the number of students in all master degree groups tends to be between 10 and 20.

What are the lecture periods?

Lectures run for 15 weeks each semester, at 4 to 5 days per week. Week 16 is reserved for exam preparation and catching up on teaching material.

Can I do the assessment test on any of the Media University campusses, no matter on which I want to study?

Yes, this is possible.

Can I move between the campuses?

Yes, a move from one campus to another is possible, but needs to be discussed in advance to optimize your semester exchange.

Is it possible to study abroad during the master degree program?

Due to the relatively short duration of the master degree program, studying abroad is not foreseen. However, you can apply for a sabbatical semester at Media University and spend that semester at a foreign university of your choice. Our International Office is more than happy to support you in your search.

Is there a compulsory internship included in the master degree program?

No, but you are free to complete internships part-time as well as full-time during the semester breaks and our Career Service department regularly posts new positions and can assist you with your application documents.